Free School Meals
Do I qualify for Free School Meals (FSM)? What is the difference between FSM and UiFSM?
All children in reception, year 1 or year 2 are entitled to free school meals. This is called Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM). However, Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) is different to benefit-based Free School Meals (FSM). Children are only eligible for benefit-based FSM if their parents receive certain benefits and have made a successful application for FSM and Pupil Premium funding with Bristol City Council.
There is no requirement to continue to provide Universal Infant Free School Meals to pupils in Reception, Year 1, or Year 2 whilst schools are closed. Therefore, only those children in receipt of benefit-based FSM are entitled to a food voucher whilst schools are closed. Please read below for more information about who could apply for benefit-based FSM. and how to apply.
Who can apply for benefit-based Free School Meals?
You may be entitled to benefit-based Free School Meals and Pupil Premium (FSM) if you receive certain benefits listed below:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit: if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get. This is also called the minimum income floor) If your child is eligible for free school meals they will eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they are in on 31 March 2023.
How to apply for benefit-based FSM
If you think you may now be eligible for benefit-based Free School Meals and Pupil Premium, please follow the steps below to apply:
- My child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 - Please complete the Early Years FSM/Pupil Premium Checker Form and return it to the school office. If you are unable to print and email back to the office, please click here to complete our online form. The information provided will be passed onto Bristol City Council on your behalf.
- My child is in Year 3 , 4, 5 or 6 - Please apply online via Bristol City Council’s website: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/schools-learning-early-years/free-school-meals