Please remember to read with your child twice a week at home! More information can be found on the letter below.
Welcome to Year 6
On this page, you will find lots of useful information: key dates, letters, a curriculum overview for the coming term and lots more! Year 6 is a fantastic year and the children will have lots of opportunities to showcase their range of skills and talents. If you have any questions about your child's learning, please do not hesitate to contact Mr Jarman or Mr Thomson. We are both looking forward to a fantastic year.
Messrs Thomson and Jarman
- Alex Jarman 6J
- Alan Thomson 6T
Literacy and Numeracy Terms 1 and 2
In Term 1, we will be exploring the number system and place value, comparing, rounding and ordering numbers up to 10, 000, 000 as well as working with negative numbers. To finish the term we will work on written and mental methods for multiplication, division, subtraction and addition.
In Term 2, we will learn to add and subtract fractions and later explore coordinates, translations and reflections.
These are the objectives from the national curriculum:
- solve problems involving the calculation and conversion of units of measure, using decimal notation up to three decimal places where appropriate
- use, read, write and convert between standard units, converting measurements of length, mass, volume and time from a smaller unit of measure to a larger unit, and vice versa, using decimal notation to up to three decimal places
- convert between miles and kilometres
- recognise that shapes with the same areas can have different perimeters and vice versa
- recognise when it is possible to use formulae for area and volume of shapes
calculate the area of parallelograms and triangles
- calculate, estimate and compare volume of cubes and cuboids using standard units,
- including cubic centimetres (cm3) and cubic metres (m3), and extending to other units [for example, mm3 and km3 ].
- draw 2-D shapes using given dimensions and angles
- recognise, describe and build simple 3-D shapes, including making nets
compare and classify geometric shapes based on their properties and sizes and find
- unknown angles in any triangles, quadrilaterals, and regular polygons
illustrate and name parts of circles, including radius, diameter and circumference and
- know that the diameter is twice the radius
- recognise angles where they meet at a point, are on a straight line, or are vertically opposite, and find missing angles.
As a Power of Reading School we explore texts in detail, giving the children the opportunity and time to get fully absorbed in the stories and their illustrations. The books we choose are often beautifully drawn, sometimes funny and always thought provoking.
Curriculum Overview Term 3
In Term 1, our topic is World War 2, with a particular focus on child refugees.
In term 2 we will explore the suffragette movement.
6T will have outdoor PE on Wednesday and indoor on Thursday.
6J will have outdoor PE on Thursday and indoor on Friday.
Children should have PE kit in school for those days. PE kit consists of a white t-shirt or polo shirt and dark shorts or trousers.
The children will be studying Islam this term, specifically they will be trying to answer the question "What is the role of the mosque to Muslims?"
The ICT suite is currently out of bounds. We will endeavor to give children time on the iPads as and when possible.
We are following the Jigsaw 'Recovery' sequence for PSHE this term.
We will learn French on a fortnightly basis. We are looking at words and phrases to describe our school.
Homework and Spellings
We will be setting weekly maths homework using MyMaths. Please look out for your child's login details over the coming days. We will also be setting literacy and spellings too. See below for next weeks spellings and the Literacy wall. Children should choose a Literacy homework task and submit it via ClassDojo by Friday each week.
To find out how to respond to Class Dojo activities follow the link below:
Spellings to be tested on Friday 4th December