Please follow this link to be directed to your child's home learning when the school is no longer open.
Meet the Year 2 Team!
Welcome to Year 2
Please find below information about the curriculum as well as important diary dates and routines and procedures in year 2.
SATS information evening (for parents and carers): Wednesday 26th February 2020 at 6pm.
Reading Workshop: We invite you to come in and read to / with your child every Monday morning between 8:50 and 9:10.
Trips and visits:
We will add information about trips here as soon as we are able to confirm them. We know that you appreciate as much prior warning as possible. We welcome parent volunteers to help out on our trips, and will endeavour to make the process a fair one by keeping track of everyone who's come along throughout the year. There will also be opportunities to come in and help with various activities in school, so please do let us know if you'd like to lend a hand!
In literacy, we will be exploring 'The Last Wolf' by Mini Grey. This book is a twist on the classic fairy-tale Little Red Riding Hood with a focus on dwindling habitats of wild animals.
The reading skills we will focus on are:
- responding to and discussing a text (asking questions, making comments, making links, giving opinions etc.)
- scanning the text to retrieve information
- using inference to answer questions
- recalling details from the story
- explaining why we think what we think
This term we are looking at fractions, position and direction and revising the curriculum we have taught so far.
HOME LEARNING opportunities
Whilst we do not set formal home learning in year 2, there are always opportunities to continue the learning at home!
1. READING, READING, READING! We can not stress how important it is that your child practises their reading as often as possible - ideally every day, at least 3 times per week!
2. Can you add up coins and find change up to £1.00?
You could use this website: http://www.ictgames.com/moneyPage.htm
3. Can you read o'clock and half past times? Now try quarter past and quarter to times!
You could use this website: http://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/hickoryDickory/
4. Do you know the properties of 2D and 3D shapes?
You could use this website: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/me3usa/flash/index.html?goLesson=14
5. Linking our learning to real life - Can you help with some cooking and measure the weight of the ingredients? Can you help pay for items in a shop by adding the coins? Can you measure how much juice to pour into the cup?
Curriculum Overview - Term 4
Our topic this term is The Woodlands. In this science topic we will be using the woodlands and our class book about wolves to explore animals, plants and their habitats. This will include creating collages, a mini beast hunt, scientific experiments and learning about how animals are adapted to their environment.
The children will do one indoor and one outdoor PE session each week. These are different for each class and change each term. Please make sure children have their PE kit in school at all times as these days can change due to bad weather or unforeseen circumstances.
Please make sure the children have the following in their PE bag:
- A white t-shirt or polo shirt.
- Black shorts or trousers.
- Daps or trainers that they can do up themselves.
- Long hair should be tied back and earrings removed if possible.
Computing and E-safety
We will be learning how to use the internet safely, coding and learning some word processing skills.
We will be learning some songs related to our topic.